Morning, friends! Today I want to share with you guys something a little different. Instead of a lunch box idea, I’ve got an awesome dinner idea for ya!
The kids and I LOVE going to Chipotle, it’s basically our favorite place to eat. We love mexican food, and it is delicious and fresh. Since Lorne is usually at work when we go for lunch, he doesn’t get to eat it as often as we do, so I came up with the idea to bring the Chipotle experience home.
I set up this DIY Chipotle Burrito Bar with everything you would need to make your own delicious steak burrito, or bowl, including Cilantro Lime Rice and Fresh Corn Salsa! The kids loved making their own burritos, and getting to pick and choose what went into them. And officially, I’m obsessed with the Corn Salsa and I’m going to be eating it all week. So. Good.
Here’s how you do it:
- Use steak meat that you have seasoned with fajita seasonings, I baked mine at 425° until it was medium well (because that’s how I like my meat), let it rest for a few minutes after baking then dice into cubes.
- Cut your bell peppers and onions, I also cook these in the oven, because it’s less hands on. I just toss them with some olive oil and throw them in the oven with the steak.
- Combine with Cilantro Lime Rice, Fresh Corn Salsa, Pico de Gallo, and Cheese. (Recipe below)
- Offer up some tortillas too.
- And black beans, I didn’t get those in the photo though 🙁
Cilantro Lime Rice
What you need:
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- Cilantro to Taste
- 8 Cups of Water
Start by bringing water to a strong boil. Season the water with salt, then add the 2 cups of Basmati Rice.
Let the rice bowl for 10-12 minutes. Stir a few times.
Drain the water from the rice, and return to serving bowl.
Add the juice from 1/2 of a lime, and stir into the rice.
Add fresh cilantro (as much or as little as you like) and stir into the rice.
Fresh Corn Salsa
What you need:
- 1 lb Frozen Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1/2 Red Onion
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 3-4 Fresh Jalapeños
- Cilantro to Taste (I use a lot because I LOOOOVE cilantro)
Start with your frozen corn kernels in a bowl, add in finely chopped red onion, deseeded and diced jalapeño peppers, cilantro, and lemon and lime juice. Stir to combine and let sit for a few minutes to let the juices marinade. This couldn’t be easier, or more delicious. I’m basically obsessed with it.
While the kids had their burritos, Lorne and I had Steak Bowls. Seriously, how tasty does this look?
So many colors. So many veggies. So dang good. I want another one right now, and bonus the rice makes a ton so you’ll have plenty for your lunches for the next few days! 🙂 🙂 🙂